Kokanee Springs: Stay™ | Green
Stay™ | Green
Bellstar Hotels & Resorts has created the Stay™ | Green program - a sustainability plan incorporating company-wide triple-bottom-line operating policies and environmentally-friendly business practices to educate guests, suppliers and staff and to help preserve our planet for future generations. A standard set of guidelines are provided to all operational teams at our hotels and resorts with the goal of creating a sustainable world by using non-intrusive, high quality, eco-friendly products and services. Although these are steps in the right direction, we are constantly striving to create new opportunities to further decrease our ecological footprint while advancing the exceptional experience that our guests expect. Please visit www.bellstar.ca/green for more information.
Bellstar is a leading supporter of the Green Key and the Green Meeting Eco-Rating program. The Green Key and the Green Meeting Eco-Rating program are graduated rating systems designed to recognize hotels, motels, and resorts that are committed to improving their environmental performance. Based on the results of a comprehensive environmental audit, hoteliers are awarded a green key rating from 1-5 and given guidance on how to "unlock" opportunities to reduce environmental impacts through reduced utility consumption, employee training, and supply chain management. For more information on Bellstar’s Stay™ | Green partnerships please visit www.bellstar.ca/green.
Team green effort:
Each property has an assigned Stay™ | Green committee consisting of three Bellstars (Bellstar team members). The team meets once a month to discuss environmental issues and strategies to go the extra green mile.
Every property has an environmental information board, where team members can get up-dates on procedures & policies. Bellstars can also post a green idea and can be announced as “green thumb” of the month.
At Bellstar and at the Bellstar Family of Reorts we actively celebrate & participate in the following environmental and community events:
- World Water Day
- Earth hour
- Earth Day
- Arbour Day Canada
- Community Clean up!
- For our BC properties: BC Shake Out.
- Buying locally: wherever possible, we purchase food, beverages and services from local growers and suppliers.
- Bath amenities: we exclusively use June Jacobs products because of their ethical business practices and their traceable soil-to-bottle process. They do not employ animal testing and their products are certified “cruelty free”. All soaps and liquids are vegetable-based and 100% biodegradable, all packaging and containers are made from up to 100% PCR material and are 100% recyclable. June Jacobs is made in Canada.
- Garbage bags: we use garbage can liners that are biodegradable, compostable and manufactured from recycled content.
- Products: we use facial tissue, paper towels and toilet tissue that undergo a chlorine free manufacturing process and use up to 100% recycled and post-consumer fibers.
- Standard textile: our linens and terry products supplier aggressively recycles supplies and byproduct materials, uses compressed and recycled corrugate to ship products, offers Estar (textiles engineered to reduce energy consumption during laundering process) and uses hydroelectric power in their production. Their products arrive pre-laundered, thereby reducing the carbon footprint of our smaller capacity laundry facilities.
- We do not supply plastic bottles for meetings.
- Our pens are made of recycled material.