Green Travel Tips
Bellstar is committed to providing to a greener hospitality experience! We would like to invite you to Stay™ | Green during your entire trip with some useful green travel tips.
Stay™ | Green Before Your Trip
A great start to a green trip starts before you leave
- Try to pack light. For every additional ten pounds per traveler an additional 350 million gallons of jet fuel per year is used.
- Bring a reusable water bottle to save money and reduce waste.
- Turn your water heater to "vacation" or lowest setting.
- Turn off air conditioning or heat.
- Close your drapes to reduce temperature fluctuation in your home.
- Turn off any unessential appliances that will not be used while you are away.
- Turn water off at the outside connection (to prevent flooding should a pipe break while you're gone). When you return, turn on the water slowly and check for problems.
Stay™ | Green While Traveling
The environmental impact of your trip includes your travel to and from your destination
- When renting a car, choose the smallest vehicle that can comfortably accommodate you.
- Rent a fuel-efficient or hybrid vehicle. You'll save gas and avoid putting miles on your own vehicle. For your convenience, Bellstar offers discounted car rentals through Budget Rent A Car.
- Use public transportation, walk or bike in the community instead of a taxis or rental cars.
Stay™ | Green at a Bellstar Resort
Take part in Bellstar’s Stay™ | Green program
- At select Bellstar Resorts, you will be rewarded with $10 in Bellstar Green Bucks for each day of your stay that you forgo daily housekeeping services. By taking part in this initiative you will be helping to reduce water consumption, reduce energy consumption, reduce amenity waste, and reduce chemical use.
- Participate in Ecostay™ at a Bellstar Resort. Guests are able to donate $2 per each night of their stay to the Ecostay™ program. Funds will be used to purchase carbon offsets in support of emission-reducing projects across the province such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, composting and recycling - making each hotel night completely ‘carbon neutral’.
- Don’t dispose of your unused soap. Bellstar Resorts donate unused soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion products to Clean the World's recycling facilities. Doing so decreases the waste in our landfills and provides recycled bathroom amenities to in people in homeless shelters and impoverished countries worldwide.
- Conserve water: Keep your showers short, and don’t continuously run the water while brushing your teeth.
- Recycle! Bellstar’s resort recycling program provides blue bins in every guest suite and all back of house areas for the recycling of glass, bottles, newspaper, office paper, and cardboard.
- Conserve energy: When you leave your suite, close the drapes, and turn off the air conditioning/heat, television, lights and any other unessential electric devices.
- Reuse your sheets and towels whenever possible.
- Give your used batteries to the front desk staff for proper recycling.
- While using fitness facilities, be sure to turn off exercise equipment when you are finished using it.
Stay™ | Green in the Community
Take nothing but photographs, and leave nothing but footprints
- When hiking, always stay on marked trails to avoid disturbing foliage. Maintain a safe distance from any animals you encounter. Deposit your trash in marked receptacles or take it with you when you leave.
- Light campfires only in established fire rings and be sure they're completely extinguished before you leave.
- Dispose of any cigarettes in the appropriate manner.
- Buy Local. Most communities offer local farmers markets. You'll support the local economy and enjoy deliciously fresh produce.