- We are in the process of switching common area and guest suite light bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs at all of our resorts (our goal is to have this complete by year-end).
- At one of our resorts, the 132 suites which are under construction are being fitted with a Passive Infrared Wireless Energy Management System (WEMS) which detects if the suite is occupied through information transmitted to the HVAC control module by the passive infrared detector and the micro-door sensor. Research shows we can expect a savings of 25% - 30% on guest room electrical costs.
- A policy of checking and reducing thermostat settings and closing drapes has been implemented in all areas.
- Swimming pool and hot tub thermal covers are not removed until a guest requests to use the pool and guests are asked to put covers back on hot tubs after use.
Commercial dryers and hot water heaters are regularly maintained in order to maximize operating efficiency.
Air and Water Quality
- Buying Locally: Wherever possible, we purchase food, beverages and services from local growers and suppliers. Our restaurants purchase local and organic food ingredients where possible. Most of our menu items are created from local seasonal ingredients season. Our deli and cheese selections are sourced from local suppliers and cheese makers. Our wine list is comprised primarily of local wines.
- We have converted one of our resort swimming pools to salt-water – reducing chlorine off-gases to the environment. We are considering this process for our other pools in 2009.
- Towel/Linen Re-use: Our in-room collateral asks guests to reduce water consumption and energy by giving them the option of re-using their towels and extending the use of their bed linens. This program extends the life of laundry equipment, reduces the consumption of laundry products and energy and has reduced our water consumption by nearly 13% overall.
Landscaping: In Bellstar-developed resorts, we employ xeriscaping, a landscaping and gardening method that reduces or eliminates the need for supplemental irrigation. Only indigenous plants and hydro seed whose natural requirements are appropriate to the local climate are used for the landscaping. The majority of irrigation that is required is achieved through drip irrigation making use of natural storm water.
- Recycling: Our resort recycling program provides blue bins in our guest suites and all back of house areas for the recycling of glass, bottles, newspaper, office paper and cardboard. Room attendant’s source-separate the waste if guests do not.
- Composting: By this summer, all organic waste materials from our kitchens will be composted.
- Stained Towels: Stained bath towels are dyed and used for pool towels and smaller terry items are used for rags.
- Spent Batteries: We are currently implementing a program for collecting spent batteries from door locks and remote controls and delivering them to the local recycling depot for proper disposal.
- Office Paper Products: All office printers and copiers use 100% recycled paper. We have a policy of printing both sides whenever possible. All office waste paper is recycled. One sided paper is used cut up for scrap paper.
- Printer Cartridges: All used ink cartridges are recycled.
- Marketing Materials: All marketing materials are primarily distributed electronically either by email, though website downloads or on memory sticks. If printing is required, we print on 100% recycled paper products. In addition, all Bellstar emails include the tag line: "Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail."
- Bath Amenities: We exclusively use Canadian enviromental friendly-products from suppliers with ethical business practices. Suppliers do not employ animal testing and their product are certified “cruelty free”, all soaps and liquids are 100% biodegradable, all packaging and containers are made from up to 100% PCR material and are 100% recyclable.
- Coffee & Tea: Our in-room tea and coffee is supplied by Fratello, a company that deals exclusively in fair trade practices.
- Cleaning and Laundry Products: We used product lines which are free of acids, phosphates and butyl. These products are Green Seal certified, Environmental Choice certified and are formulated in partnership with EPA Design for the Environment.
- Garbage Bags: We have started phasing in the use of garbage can liners that are biodegradable, compostable and manufactured from recycled content.
- Guest Suite Paper Products: We use facial tissue, paper towels and toilet tissue that undergo a chlorine free manufacturing process and use up to 100% recycled and post-consumer fibers.
- Office Paper Products: All office printers and copiers use 100% recycled paper.
- FSC certified paper is used for printed collateral when available.
All our Alberta resorts have partnered with Direct Energy to make Bellstar their first major hospitality customer in North America to convert to 100% carbon-neutral energy through a Direct Energy offering of carbon-neutral natural gas and EcoLogo certified renewable power. Under the program, Bellstar substantially lowers its impact on the environment by offsetting carbon emissions that would normally result from the use of electricity generated from conventional, coal-fired sources. EcoLogo energy comes from renewable sources such as wind, solar and run-of-river hydro. The natural gas consumed will be carbon-neutral, offset through investments in projects which reduce greenhouse gas emissions.