Blackstone: Stay™ | Green
Bellstar Hotels & Resorts has created the Stay™ | Green program -
a sustainability plan incorporating company-wide triple-bottom-line
operating policies and environmentally-friendly business practices to
educate guests, suppliers and staff and to help preserve our planet for
A standard set of guidelines are provided to all operational teams at our hotels and resorts with the goal of creating a sustainable world by using non-intrusive, high quality, eco-friendly products and services. Although these are steps in the right direction, we are constantly striving to create new opportunities to further decrease our ecological footprint while advancing the exceptional experience that our guests expect. Please visit www.bellstar.ca/green for more information.
Bellstar is a leading supporter of the Green Key and the Green Meeting Eco-Rating program. The Green Key and the Green Meeting Eco-Rating program are graduated rating systems designed to recognize hotels, motels, and resorts that are committed to improving their environmental performance. Based on the results of a comprehensive environmental audit, hoteliers are awarded a green key rating from 1-5 and given guidance on how to "unlock" opportunities to reduce environmental impacts through reduced utility consumption, employee training, and supply chain management.
Blackstone Mountain Lodge achieved the following certification:
Clean the World is a foundation committed to reducing the waste created by discarded soap and shampoo products while preventing deaths by hygiene-related illnesses around the world. By sending the unused portion of Bellstar's soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion products to Clean the World's recycling facilities, we are decreasing the waste in our landfills and helping improve the quality of life for those in homeless shelters and impoverished countries worldwide.
For more information on Bellstar’s Stay™ | Green partnerships please visit bellstar.ca/green.
Team green effort:
Each property has an assigned Stay™ | Green committee consisting of three Bellstars (Bellstar team members). The team meets once a month to discuss environmental issues and strategies to go the extra green mile. Every property has an environmental information board, where team members can get up-dates on procedures & policies. Bellstars can also post a green idea and can be announced as “green thumb” of the month.
At Bellstar we actively celebrate & participate in the following environmental and community events:
- World Water Day
- Earth hour
- Earth Day
- Arbour Day Canada (in Canada, Maple Leaf Day falls on the last Wednesday in September during National Forest Week).
- Community Clean up!
- For our BC properties: BC Shake Out.
- We have switched over 90% of the common area and guest suite light bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs at all of our resorts.
- A policy of checking and reducing thermostats settings and closing drapes to regulate room temperature is implemented in all resorts.
- Commercial dryers and hot water heaters are regularly maintained in order to maximize operating efficiency.
- A policy has been implemented to replace old appliances with high energy efficient products.
Air and Water Quality.
- We have converted several of our resort swimming pools to salt-water – reducing chlorine off-gases to the environment. We are considering this process for our other pools in 2012.
- All our properties are 100% non smoking.
- Our properties are “idle” free. Posted signs in the arrival area encourage our guests to turn off their car while waiting. In 2012 our goal is to convert 100% of our properties to idle free.
- Several of our properties offer bike rental at their location to motivate guests to use an alternative transportation to enjoy the surroundings and to reduce their footprint.
- Towel/linen re-use: our in-room collateral asks guests to reduce water and energy consumption by giving them the option of re-using their towels and extending the use of their bed linens. This program extends the life of laundry equipment, reduces the consumption of laundry products and energy and has reduced our water consumption by nearly 13% overall.
- Cleaning and laundry products: we use product lines which are free of acids, phosphates and butyl.
- Several properties have low-flow toilets installed and future installations will be converted.
- Recycling: our resort recycling program provides blue bins in every guest suite and all back of house areas for the recycling of glass, bottles, newspaper, office paper, batteries and cardboard. Room attendants separate the waste if guests do not. Batteries are collected at the front desk.
- Spent batteries: we implemented a program for collecting spent batteries from door locks and remote controls and delivering them to the local recycling depot for proper disposal.
- Office paper products: all office printers and copiers use 100% recycled paper. We have a policy of printing both sides whenever possible. All office waste paper is recycled. One-sided paper is cut up and used for scrap paper in place of note pads.
- Marketing materials: all marketing materials are primarily distributed electronically either by email, though website downloads or on memory sticks. If printing is required, we print on 100% recycled (FSC certified) paper products. In addition, all Bellstar emails include the tag line: "please consider the environment before printing this e-mail."
- Buying locally: wherever possible, we purchase food, beverages and services from local growers and suppliers.
- Bath amenities: we exclusively use June Jacobs products because of their ethical business practices and their traceable soil-to-bottle process. They do not employ animal testing and their products are certified “cruelty free”. All soaps and liquids are vegetable-based and 100% biodegradable, all packaging and containers are made from up to 100% PCR material and are 100% recyclable. June Jacobs is made in Canada.
- Coffee & tea: our in-room tea and coffee is supplied by Fratello, a company that deals exclusively in fair trade practices.
- Garbage bags: we use garbage can liners that are biodegradable, compostable and manufactured from recycled content.
- Products: we use facial tissue, paper towels and toilet tissue that undergo a chlorine free manufacturing process and use up to 100% recycled and post-consumer fibers.
- Standard textile: our linens and terry products supplier aggressively recycles supplies and byproduct materials, uses compressed and recycled corrugate to ship products, offers Estar (textiles engineered to reduce energy consumption during laundering process) and uses hydroelectric power in their production. Their products arrive pre-laundered, thereby reducing the carbon footprint of our smaller capacity laundry facilities.
- We do not supply plastic bottles for meetings.
- Our pens are made of recycled material.
- Doggy bags: our doggy bags are biodegradable, compostable and manufactured from recycled content.
All our Alberta resorts have partnered with direct energy to make Bellstar their first major hospitality customer in North America to convert to 100% carbon-neutral energy through a direct energy offering of carbon-neutral natural gas and Ecologo certified renewable power. Under the program, Bellstar substantially lowers its impact on the environment by offsetting carbon emissions that would normally result from the use of electricity generated from conventional, coal-fired sources. Ecologo energy comes from renewable sources such as wind, solar and run-of-river hydro. The natural gas consumed will be carbon-neutral, offset through investments in projects which reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Bellstar has signed an agreement with Ecostay carbon offsetting program for all resorts to reduce the environmental impact of our properties.
Bellstar Hotels & Resorts partners with EcoStay™, a program that
will offset our properties carbon footprint. The program will be
launched in all Canmore and Osoyoos properties on April 20, 2012.
EcoStay™ is a national initiative that helps hotels measure their carbon
footprint, identify and fund reduction strategies and balance off their
greenhouse gas emissions through carbon offsetting.
Under the program, Bellstar properties will collect two dollars per night from hotel guests. Funds will be used to purchase carbon offsets in support of emission-reducing projects across the province such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, composting and recycling - making each hotel night completely ‘carbon neutral’. The guest’s contribution completely offsets the impact or their stay, and more. Carbon offsets are supplied by LivClean, a top ranked retailer by the David Suzuki Pembina. All LivClean Eco-Stay™ Carbon Offset Projects are listed on the CSA Group’s GHG CleanProjects™ Registry ensuring ISO 14064-2 reporting and independent ISO 14064-3 verification. In addition, each offset tonne is uniquely serialized by CSA Group to ensure proper retirement and avoid double counting.
Marketing Efforts & Communication
Our resort Group Coordinators have developed a green meetings package which enables Bellstar to offer green meetings to those who wish to host meetings at our resorts. This includes smaller items such as using recycled paper for flip charts to installing bulk water coolers in each meeting room or having the meeting group purchase carbon offsets through the Ecostay™ program.
Commitment to Community
Bellstar hotels & resorts strives to give-back to the communities where we work and play. We encourage our staff to volunteer in the community, we implement initiatives to train and employ aboriginal peoples, and our unclaimed lost and found items are donated to local charities.
We have also launched a pair of unique animal respect initiatives:
- Our pet-friendly program provides guests’ pets an extra bit of pampering – a map of local dog parks, a list of local bi-laws, biodegradable doo-bags, treats, loaner leashes and water/food dishes. A percentage of the $20 per night pet-friendly fee goes to support the regional SPCA. To date, our donations have totaled over $12,600.
- At a number of our resorts, we sell indigenous plush animals as souvenirs’ for our guests. Upon purchase of the animal, guests receive information about the animal and a portion of the proceeds goes to either Wild Smart, an awareness program that teaches about living with and respecting wildlife or to the NK’MIP rattlesnake research program. To date, our donations have totaled over $680.